NOTE: The BEST self-defense is Awareness
Never ignore a "bad feeling"!! Police statistics show that in 90% of attacks the victim "felt something was wrong" BEFORE anything happened but ignored their gut instincts. If you pay attention to your environment and can escape, you won't have to fight.
1. Look where you're going. Check out the gas station, ATM, 7-Eleven etc. before you pull up/go in so you don't become part of a stickup in progress.
2. Wake up. Turn off your iPod/iPhone etc. when out in public. Don't jog with earphones.
3. Maintain a Personal Comfort Zone. No stranger or hostile relation is allowed to get closer than 5 feet to you without vetting or permission. Period. If they do, attack the attacker [Brad Steiner]. Practice a relaxed, non-threatening listening stance you can
3b. Just Say No. Never accept offers of help from strangers ("can I carry your packages?"). This was a favorite ruse of serial killers such as Ted Bundy. If things feel wrong, run away screaming. If you can't run, you'll have to fight. Learn how: both hand-to-hand and weapons.
4. Walk wide around building corners. Don't get jumped.
5. React. Practice a high-speed flinch response in the event you're surprised by a sound, movement or touch.
6. Watch your drink. Someone could slip a
7. No stranger gets in your house. Ever. Even if it's a little girl screaming to use your phone to call her daddy because her mommy's lying in the road bleeding to death. Call 911 for her. Otherwise, you open the door and 3 mutants rush in and a horrific home invasion begins.
8. Flat tire in a bad neighborhood? Drive on your rims. New wheels are a small price to pay for avoiding a violent carjacking.
9. People give you a bad feeling as you walk down a street? Do you: Make eye contact? Don't make eye contact? Look assertive? Reach for your gun? Walk down a different street.
10. You're being mugged for your money. Don't fish around in your purse/wallet for bills. Be cooperative. Give them your whole wallet (prepare a separate "mugging" wallet with a few dollars). But...
11. Never go to crime scene #2. If all they want is money, fine. But if they want to take you somewhere, make your stand and fight for your life, right now. You stand a better chance of surviving. If you go with them, statistics say you will not escape or be rescued.These tips come from the